Wednesday

Collegeville Documentary

I would love to create a documentary about Saint John's University in Collegeville, MN. There are many things I would want the audience to learn about that culture. I found something very strange about a liberal arts college that basically catered to white, upper-middle class people and created a real secluded place to learn. The students even joked about how they were behind a "Pine Curtain." That, actually, would be a great name for the documentary. What I find so intriguing is the use of a euphamism reserved for Soviet Russia being used to describe the way in which these students are sheltered from the world, allowing only a filtered reality throught the treeline.
The main activity in the fall would have to be the Johnnie football games. There is a strange thing that happens there at that time. I find it hard to describe. It kind of reminded me of a high class party, a sort of balck tie affair where all the "in people" know everyone and the others do not belong. At least, that's the feeling I usually got from them. There's a real sense of connectedness, not only with other Johnnies but a sense of...I think what I'm looking for here is class structure. I was always well aware that my upbringing (farm boy, born and raised) did not fit with the class that attended that institution. I felt like I was sitting in at a secret society's meeting all the time.
Other activities would include the formal affairs such as the alum dinners and the senior dinner. Also, the mother/son dance would likely be a good place to get some insight into that world. I never attended that, but it seemed like a very "privileged" kind of activity. Something a cetain class of people would partake in.
The interviews would have to include students who were more than first generation Johnnies (of which there were many), varying social classes, professors, alums, and even the staff workers. I think with all those ideas and thoughts, one could create a decent view of that world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home